Utica Nebraska Village Board of Trustees
June 1, 2020 Regular Meeting
The Village Board of Trustees met in regular session on June 1, 2020 at 7:00 pm in the Auditorium. Notice of this meeting was given in advance by posting in three designated places and advance notification of the trustees by delivery. Roll call was answered by Trustees Olson, Swanson, Ohlsen, Baack, and Powell. Also present were Gale Dishman, Mark Avery, Cindy Avery, Collette Stelling, Amanda Struble, Dylan Wiemer and Rita Maier.
The Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
The Open Meeting Act is located on the entry wall.
The agenda was approved by a motion from Swanson, second Baack. RCV: all ayes
Motion Ohlsen, second Swanson to accept minutes of May 4, 2020 regular meeting.
No public comments.
Old Business: Motion Baack, second Powell to cancel majority of Utica Heritage Days activities and make it a cruse night. RCV: All ayes
- Motion Swanson, second Baack to open swimming pool trying for a June 15th start with the Park Board setting up rules for COVID-19 containment and if we can get sufficient lifeguards. RCV: 4 ayes, Olson- nay.
- Motion Swanson, second Baack that when playground equipment deficiencies are corrected, and Four Corners Health agrees the playgrounds will be opened. RCV: All ayes
- Motion Swanson, second Baack to approve COVID-19 Resolution regarding use of municipal property for sports or other recreational activities. RCV: All ayes.
- Motion Swanson, second Baack to approve COVID-19 Participant agreement for sports or other recreational activities. RCV: All ayes
- Motion Swanson, second Ohlsen to approve COVID-19 License and Management agreement for use of municipal property for sports and other recreational activities with UBO. RCV: All ayes.
- Discussion about proper set back if adjoining properties each want their own fence. They must be able to maintain vegetation between fences and have workspace. No ordinance proposed at this time.
- Motion Swanson, second Baack that we have no rentals of Auditorium because of COVID-19 until further notice. RCV: All ayes
- Reviewed Peddlers license application. Needs a few more changes and will addressed at a later date. Motion Powell, second Swanson to not allow any peddlers licenses during COVID-19. RCV: all ayes
- Discussion of Food Truck license. Board to give suggestions to Swanson and Ohlsen in next 10 days.
- Motion Swanson, second Powell to approve to proceed with the Employee Evaluation after a few discussed changes to the form. RCV: all ayes
- Discussion of Recycle bins. Because of cost to the Village, we need a sign stating for use by Village residents only.
Fire Chief Report: They have not been meeting because of COVID-19. Hope to meet end of June.
Sheriff Report: Motion Swanson, second Powell to accept Sheriff’s report.
Zoning Report: Fry, Wiemer, and Peeks applications approved. Motion Swanson, second Powell to accept Zoning report. RCV: all ayes
Chairman Report: Lights not working on the Utica sign on Hwy 34. Mike Fehlhafer willing to fix. Motion Swanson, second Ohlsen to spend up to $500 to fix the sign lights. Chairman reports Fire Members are covered for Workman Comp.. The broken curb at COOP will be having a meeting and will propose grinding off and removing the curb. Travis Haverman verified documents have been received for reimbursement of costs of closing railroad crossing. Chairman searching for exact property line between uptown parking lot and the railroad property. Resident reports foxes living on Bill Rouse property. Game & Parks are trying to catch and relocate. Motion Swanson, second Ohlsen to accept Chairman’s report. RCV: All ayes
Maintenance Report: Attached and made a part hereof. Motion Swanson, second Powell to purchase rock for parking lots. RCV: All ayes. Motion Swanson, second Baack to accept Maintenance report. RCV: All ayes
Clerks report attached and made a part hereof. Motion Powell, second Swanson to pay $184.95 to renew domain registration for Village website for 5 years. RCV: All ayes Motion Swanson, second Baack to pay for June 16th zoom meeting on Liquor Licenses. RCV: All ayes Motion Swanson, second Powell to accept Clerks report.
Treasurer’s Report: Attached and made apart hereof. Motions Swanson, second Ohlsen to accept Treasurer’s report. RCV: all ayes
Keno Report: Attached and made a part hereof. No Keno sales/report in April. Motion Swanson, second Powell to accept March Keno report.
Claims: Motion Swanson, second Powell to approve and pay claims. RCV: All ayes.
Motion Swanson, second Baack to adjourn at 10:50 pm. RCV: All ayes.
Claims to be paid. Windstream, utilities 932.96; Black Hills Energy, utilities 387.94; NE Dept of Energy, loan 79567.50; NE UC Fund, benefits 1924.00; NE Generator, repairs 1790.89; Reed Electric, maint. 1339; Sargent Drilling, repairs 2217.80; Volzke Corp. maint. 173; Faller Landscaping, supplies 278.38; Joyce Schriner, supplies 75.87; Seward Cty Independent, publishing 20.25; Beaver Hardware, repairs 51.90; Central Valley Ag, fuel 172.16; Jackson Services, uniforms 177.23, Kopchos, garbage 373; Seward Cty Sheriff, services 517.80; Great Plains Pest Maint., services 196, Quaient Finance, postage 300; Recycling Enterprises, services 805, NE Dept of Revenue, sales tax 1729.08; Norris Public Power, utilities 3491.79; Sports Express, uniforms 573.70; Advanced Office Automation, services 12.08; Midwest Laboratories, services 164; NE Public Health, services 33; Wages, 12623.88; payroll taxes, 6962.94; benefits, 1465.84.
Clerk’s report 6-1-20
15 disconnect letters sent. 10 Owners & 5 renters.
7 lawn letters sent.
1 underage driver of a utility/golf cart letter sent to parents
- Thank you notes received.
- Who is getting League of Nebraska Municipalities newsletter?
- Website domain renewal fee.
- Start late fees again?
- Payroll substitute for payroll ending June 21st.
- Reminder Election File dates: Incumbents July 15 2020 NON-incumbents is August 3, 2020
- June 16 Webinar on Liquor Licenses
- Unemployment notification
- Need 1-5-10 year strategic planning documents
Do we have anything COVID-19 expenses (not revenue) we need state reimbursement on?
- Camping says 5 days or decision of Clerk. Any recommendations of time frame?
- Owner left me know he built a fence last year without a permit. Should he apply and pay now?